It's serious enough (but not life-threatening). But I am laughing. Why?

Close friends say that I laugh at the most uncanny times. For some strange reason, at times, I find situations others think are serious -- funny. And it has gotten me into hot soup at times. Am old story comes to mind. When I was much, much younger (and incapable of rejecting requests for help). 

I remembered helping someone- actually, a few housemates - shift their belongings during a house-move once (don't ask me why I even did it) - while everyone else was away out of the country. Yes, literally. It was term break. They were out in another country or back in their respective nation. 

I was told the movers will arrive, and they will pack everything. I only had to "help" supervise, and the manager of the friend's company would be in charge. The day the move was scheduled, I was there. The appointed manager was not. Well, he came by later, took a look and left me with a parting shot, You can handle this, right? Before I could answer, he had left. I felt really flabbergasted. But was too young, too naive to rebutt the much older man. 

The movers came, and they said, "Why are these things not packed?" The engaged contractors turned up to be just plain, lorry drivers and their helpers. They were NOT professional movers (as I was misinformed). Then out of compassion or pity for me with my shocked face and earnest request, there was a mad rush. They helped get huge boxes and packed shelves and shelves of books, and etc, etc. etc. They were really nice. Even helped me get lunch, and truly helped me sort out things. I was literally at the mercy of God and these kind, weather-hardened men. 

So in the course of time, all the items got transported to the new place, with a bit more drama, and God's kind help again with His favour with the lorry guys. 

Then someone's precious handbag got compressed under a pile of boxes. It was not spoiled, and the frame was not broken. But it did look a bit sorry after the move. When I saw the bag, and the owner who came back pointed it to me. The person was really angry. But I. just. felt. like. laughing. Though, seriously, it certainly was not a time to laugh. But the ludricity of the whole situation came back to me, and I laughed. The person got really mad, and said, I don't understand why you are laughing.

Here again, tonight, for some reason, this song just cracks me up. Maybe, it's because this song is such a practical, true prayer and declaration - that most can identify with. And I find myself laughing again. Now, God help me, why is that? Probably, due to the great sense of relief I find in the lyrics of this song. Someone has actually put words to those heartfelt cry one has, with the exact responses to our beloved God.

Comments

Popular Posts